Search This Blog

Thursday 28 September 2017

Life Drawing Session #1

Today I had my first life drawing session, using charcoal I attempted to draw a female model. I enjoyed using the charcoal to thicken, thin and smooth out to highlight and cast shadows to create bodily shapes. However, trying to focus to much detail on each area, I lost track and had to rush certain parts. Also this lead to parts of the body being out of proportion.

Overall I enjoyed the experience; of being allowed to choose any medium, the set up of drawing on an A3 scale piece of paper attached to an aisle. There's an sense of vulnerability the way your drawings are on show, and there is a model in nudity- yet at the same time there's privacy in the way the bulky aisle blocks you, and despite being in a group of people, they're hidden behind their aisle. Allowing great focus yet losing the mind to drawing peacefully. However the time limits are discomforting, I know with in time it will develop good time management with in my drawings.

Drawing #1








In this drawing, I had more freedom to add details, being my first drawing I surprisingly preferred this one. However, "diving" straight in was foolish, as the head is massively out of proportion, being left rather tiny compared to the humongous size of the body.  

Drawing #2

For example in this drawing;  the face is rushed, the hands are out of proportion, the legs haven't been as worked on as the torso, and the head could have been brought down more. Other than this I am pleased with the shadows that I did make on the belly, but this is not very time convenient.

No comments:

Post a Comment